Cricket
Exclusive: Dane Piedt frustrated with Test omission but told not to throw in the towel
South African off-spinner Dane Piedt will miss upcoming series against Sri Lanka as coach Shukri Conrad opts for Senuran Muthusamy as second spinner. Piedt expresses frustration but remains hopeful for future Test opportunities. Proteas squad includes fast bowlers Gerald Coetzee and Marco Jansen. Cricket fans looking to make the series even more exciting can take advantage of a free sign up bonus betting offer and get in on the action from the very first ball.

Image credit: Getty Images / Hannah Peters
Having been part of South Africa's last three Test series', off-spinner, Dane Piedt will miss the upcoming Sri Lanka series as coach Shukri Conrad has announced spin-bowling all-rounder Senuran Muthusamy as the second spinner behind Keshav Maharaj. For fans following every twist in South African cricket, you can also explore the latest insights and opportunities on cricket betting in South Africa to stay engaged with the game beyond the field."
Piedt's Frustrations
Proteas Test coach, Shukri Conrad, announced his squad for the upcoming two-match series against Sri Lanka, a series that will mark the start of the South African Test summer.
Conrad has welcomed back fast bowlers Gerald Coetzee and Marco Jansen into his squad as the two quicks missed out on the series against the West Indies and Bangladesh due to their 12-week-long conditioning break.
The 57-year-old has omitted spinner Dane Piedt from the squad and has opted to give spin-bowling all-rounder Senuran Muthusamy an opportunity in the upcoming series.
Muthusamy did well in the second Test in Bangladesh last month, scoring a well-crafted 80-odd and taking a four-for to help South Africa win the match and the series.
On the other hand, Piedt did not have the best of series in Bangladesh as he returned figures of 1/114 in the first Test in Mirpur and went on to be dropped in the second Test match.
However, the 34-year-old has a phenomenal return to Test cricket this year with his five-for in New Zealand a highlight of his return.
In an exclusive interview with SportsBoom, Dane Piedt revealed that though selections do not affect him, it was frustrating to learn of his omission for the Sri Lanka series.
"They are obviously going with Muthusamy and you can't go against that. He had a really good Test match in the last Test. If you do well, you get your opportunity," Piedt told SportsBoom.com.
"It is a bit frustrating playing one Test here and another there and being left out. I didn't bowl the way I wanted to in Bangladesh.
"At the end of the day, selection is not in my hands, the coach likes to have extra batting in his team and you can't fault that. At the end of the day, I'm a lot closer to the end of my career than the start so I don't look too much into that.
"There are no hard feelings but it is frustrating playing the odd Test match here and there and not getting a full run. But Keshav is the guy in charge and he's going to the World Test championship which is the main goal."
Piedt's future in Test cricket
The off-spinner told SportsBoom that he was told not to throw in the towel yet.
"I got told not to throw in the towel yet," he said. "I am 34 years old, there's two subcontinent tours next year so let's see how the last part of my career pans out."
The squad will attend a red-ball camp at the centre of excellence in Pretoria from 21-22 November before flying out to Durban on Saturday 23 November where the first Test will be played on 27 November.
Proteas Test squad against Sri Lanka
Temba Bavuma (captain), David Bedingham, Gerald Coetzee, Tony de Zorzi, Marco Jansen, Keshav Maharaj, Aiden Markram, Wiaan Mulder, Senuran Muthusamy, Dane Paterson, Kagiso Rabada, Tristan Stubbs, Ryan Rickelton, and Kyle Verreynne.
Related Resources to Cricket Interviews
- Rassie van der Dussen: England's Early Champions Trophy Exit Won't Change Our Approach
- Exclusive: Record-Breaking ODI Debut Puts Matthew Breetzke on Proteas Radar
- Exclusive: Lhuan-dre Pretorius Draws Inspiration from Quinton de Kock as He Nears a Proteas Call-Up
- Exclusive: South Africa Must Conquer Spin to Keep Champions Trophy Hopes Alive, Says Batting Coach
- Exclusive: Wiaan Mulder Embraces Finisher Role as He Gears Up for First ICC Champions Trophy
- Exclusive: Proteas Captain Bavuma is Ready for the Challenge in Champions Trophy Group of Death
- Exclusive: South African Cricket Rocked by Racism Allegations as Players Demand Stronger Action
- Exclusive: How Robin Peterson Led MI Cape Town to Their First SA20 Title
- Exclusive: Shukri Conrad on South Africa’s WTC Final Challenge, Fast Bowling Crisis, and the Future of Test Cricket
- SA20 Final Showdown: Sunrisers’ Playoff Perfection vs. MI Cape Town’s Unstoppable Streak
- Exclusive: DeWald Brevis Embraces Technical Growth and Team Bond Ahead of SA20 Final
- Spin Takes Centre Stage: Paul Adams on SA20’s Playoff Race and the Tournament’s Evolution
- Exclusive: Faf du Plessis Backs Experience as Joburg Super Kings Face Knockout Test
- Exclusive: Jonathan Trott Calls for Change After Pretoria Capitals’ Disappointing SA20 Campaign
- Exclusive: Liam Dawson on the Pressure as Defending Champions and Making the Playoffs
- Exclusive: Annerie Dercksen Shines as ICC Emerging Women’s Cricketer of the Year
- Exclusive: Bavuma Backs In-Form Batsmen to Lead South Africa's Champions Trophy Charge
- Zak Crawley's SA20 Woes: Coach Adrian Birrell Faces Tough Decision on Sunrisers Opening Slot
- Exclusive: Trent Boult on MI Cape Town’s Resurgence, Newlands Magic, and Bowling with Rabada
- Beuran Hendricks excited to play under Faf du Plessis in the SA20

Ongama Gcwabe is an experienced sports journalist based in South Africa. His work has been featured in top publications like Independent Newspapers and IOL Sport.